Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Annie Part 2

A few years ago, my Mother was diagnosed with 2 Brain Aneurysms.   This is the story of our journey.

For Part 1 of this story click Here

The 40 minute drive home from the airport was agonizing. The frightening thoughts that were flowing through my head caused the tears to continually flow down my face.  

I was deeply terrified of losing my Mom.

I knew very little about Brain Aneurysms, and I wasn't aware that people could survive them without major consequences.  At the time, the only thing I knew was that my Mother would require brain surgery and that alone made me feel nauseated.

I finally made it home.  

I sat in the driveway for a few moments listening to the raindrops pound against the car.  {Attempting} to pull myself together, I walked in the house and went immediately to bed. 

I cried myself to sleep that night.

The next morning, I drove back to my Mom's house to be with her.  To console her and try to make her feel better about her recent diagnosis, but at the end of the day, she was consoling me.  

Funny how that works.

The following day (Friday) we went to meet the Neurosurgeon at the hospital to find out their intended course of action with regards to her 2 Brain Aneurysms.  

This was real.  

After meeting with the surgeon, my Mom was admitted to the hospital immediately.  Her surgery was scheduled for Sunday, but as a precautionary measure she would have to remain in the hospital in case of a sudden aneurysm rupture.     

The arrival of Sunday was bittersweet.  Knowing the risk of surgery was petrifying, but we were relieved she would finally be operated on. 
My Mom and I at my wedding.  3 months before the surgery

Unexpected Emergencies filled the operating room, and the surgeons were well beyond their duty day. Finally, at 9:00 pm we watched her being wheeled away on her stretcher.  Pit in our stomach and tears in our eyes.  

I don't think there is anything more agonizing in the world than waiting when someone is in surgery.

And waiting...  

And waiting...

We sat by the door that my Mom was supposed to be coming out from.  Every time the door opened, we would peek in as if it would make her come out faster.  She was the last scheduled surgery of the evening and it was well past midnight.

She finally came out.  

I was shocked when I saw her.  The bandage where they had shaved her hair.  Her eyes were still closed and there was a lot of swelling in her face.  

I'm not sure why I was surprised, but I was.

The surgery was successful, but they were only able to get one of the two aneurysms, which meant we would have to go through this whole ordeal again in the near future.

The surgeon told us my Mom would be taken to the intensive care unit, and we would be able to see her within half an hour. 

We felt a sense of relief.

This was short lived, when approximately 15 minutes later we heard 


We knew it was my Mom.

To be continued...
For Part 3 of this story click Here

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes....can't wait to read the rest of this poignant story.


Don't be shy... Leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...